Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default low voltage at two outlets

lbee wrote:

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:46:42 GMT, M Q

Best, or legal? or both?
Somebody please correct me and cite code section if I am wrong, but
I believe that there is no code permitted way to have a splice concealed
behind drywall. You will need a junction box with an accessible cover.
And since the cable will be short, you may even need two.
Since you have already ripped up drywall, best to replace the cable all
the way to the outlet boxes, or at least to a location where you are
willing to put in an additional outlet. Depending upon accessibility

from attic or basement, you may want to just abandon the existing cable

and fish a new one.

Both/either? Jeez, glad this is my neighbor and not me! Turns out he,
so far, has only cut a small enough hole to access the specific
damaged place. I told him to, as long as he's doing that, just cut a
large enough piece to make the job easier. He's probably going to be
doing that this weekend.
Could you clarify the needing of 2 junction boxes if it's short?
Acessibility?! Here in FL, we don't need no stinking basements... Nor

Assuming that you don't mind putting the junction box exactly
where the damage is, you probably need at least 6-8 inches from
each end in the junction box to make the splice. So unless
you can find 14-16 of slack in your romex, you would need to
splice in an additional piece, which means a second junction box.

But before you do all this, there might be some listed devices and
materials for legally making a repair that I don't know about.
You may want to ask around at an electrical supply shop,
or even ask a licensed electrician(!).

It really sounds like a tough job to repair one little break.
I hope that there is a better solution than I am suggesting.