Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default How flat is a levelled floor?

Manufacturers of finished flooring have specs for floor level in their
installation instructions.

"BZ" wrote in message
I recently pulled up an old vinyl floor, and had the floor skim coated to
level it before putting down something new, but the guy who did the skim
coat didn't inspire confidence.

I expected it would take one pass with self-levelling cement to get a
level floor, but he was here all day, and went over the floor three or
four times with the trowel and more self-levelling cement to take care of
low spots. Now when I lay a 1x6 pine board on the floor, I can see where
the floor has shallow low spots. The floor was like that before I had it
levelled (although there were also pitted areas which have now been filled
in).

So my question is, how level is level? If I take a 5 foot board and see a
24 inch diameter low spot with a maximum depth of about 1/8 inch, is that
normal, or is that a shoddy job that needs to be fixed?

Thanks in advance.