Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default lawnmower won't start

On Aug 24, 10:04 am, wrote:
I have a Murray lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton 6.0 HP engine
that dosen't want to start. I tried new filters, spark plugs, fresh
gas and checked the primer pump. I just pull the cord and nothing
happens. When i had the filter off I noticed that there is a spring
which connects the throttle lever to the carburetor choke plate which
looks pretty worn out. When i move the throttle lever, nothing
happens to the choke plate (although I can move it manually). Could
this be the reason for the thing not starting? Or does anyone else
have any better suggestions?

Check for spark. Pull the plug, stuff the wire back on, and lay the
threaded end against a head bolt on the engine. Pull the cord. If it
sparks blue, you've got spark. $20 says you don't have any spark.

Did you hit anything with the blades recently? I don't know if they
still do this, but the flywheel used to have an aluminum key that
would shear if you hit anything too hard. Instead of twisting off the
crankshaft, the flywheel shears the key.