Posted to sci.electronics.repair
vey vey is offline

Default Current flow detector for remote water pump.

Steve W. wrote:
Looking for a way to activate a small lamp to show when a remote mounted
water pump is running. I know I have seen the method before but my dusty
brain cannot seem to find it. The pump is a 120volt unit mounted in a
remote pump house out of visual range or I would wire a light across the
pressure switch. I was thinking of something like an inductive coil
around the hot lead feeding a circuit that would power the light. No
problem working on the panel end. Ideas?

Maybe I am stupid, but couldn't you just wire a 120 lamp cord and bulb
in parallel with the pump? You would do this at the switch. When the
pressure switch closed, then the pump and the bulb would come on.

Or you could wire in after the controller box, if you have one.

But make sure that this really is a 120 pump. Most are 240 and then you
would wire one hot to one side of the bulb and neutral to the other side
of the bulb.