Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Rolling cabinet for my planar

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 24, 1:00 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message

ps.com... Going to
build a rolling cabinet for my planar (approximately 2' x
3'). I was thinking about whether or not I need a vertical member
centered in the middle of the cabinet to support the weight of the
machine. Any suggestions? I dont see a way around it. If I do add this
support, I was thinking about adding several drawers to the top
section, and two cabinet doors to the lower half. Any of you have an
outfeed table? What are you fellas storing is this cabinet?

How heavy is this planar?

My planer certainly doesn't need such a support, but it only weighs 90
pounds.

Its a Rigid, so I am guessing under 100lbs. But, I am planning on
making the cabinet 3' wide and 2' deep. A 3' span with close to 100lbs
in the center may sag over time.

Matt

My first woodworking project was a TV cart, open in the front and back;
built out of scrap plywood. I was real concerned about putting a 75 pound
TV on it because there wasn't much to it. Two years later I was done with
it, so I decided to test it. I put 200 pounds of sand and chain on it, and
then sat on top of the pile. Firm as can be. I finally broke it by hitting
it on the upper side with a sledge hammer with the 200 pounds on it. Even
then it just kinda broke rather than collapsing as I was afraid of.

Assuming your construction is reasonable, a 100 pound planer isn't much of a
load. Of course, I don't know how good you are at design...