Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default drill press holding fixture

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:08:12 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

For me the thing about work holding on the drill press is set up time.
I.e., it's too much. Particularly, using a vise and bolting the vise
down through the slots. Ack! I have improved that somewhat with a
quick-acting vise & having it mounted on a plate which I clamp with
Kant-Twists:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/dpvise.jpg

An idea that I had and never got around to implementing was using a
pneumatic cylinder that would hold work down on the table. Maybe a 1"
bore, 4" stroke, with a foot to fit common shapes. Probably some
linkage to keep things in place. I actually have a cylinder, so it
could get done some day. I'd be interested to hear if someone has tried
this sort of thing. Particularly if it didn't work, so I'd save the
trouble.

Bob

I use Kant-Twists (Damn nice product) clamps too. I usually
clamp right to the to top of the vise with one big one. If I
feel more hold down power is needed I'll add some more
clamps. I like the Vise-Grip C-Clamp pliers. Like this:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

The tips are small enough to fit into many places that other
clamps can't. I don't have any with the swivel pads, but if
come across a deal on some...

I have several different size/type vises used here and
there. So I'm a bit reluctant to bolt a large plate
underneath.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b