Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
colin colin is offline

Default Boost converter for battery widget

"Richard H." wrote in message
To step-up a single-cell 1.5v battery to ~3.3v, is there a better option
than using a boost regulator like an LM2623?
(http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM2623.pdf)

I'm trying to hack out power options for a simple battery-operated LED
gizmo, and it's turning out more complex than the gadget itself.

BTW, load is 1mA to ~100mA depending on LED duty cycle, with a lot of
"off" time. (The power needs to stay on, but the microcontroller will be
quiescent - I'm not sure that a simple transistor+inductor scheme will
give much battery life.)

just another thought, you could have the micro drive the LED via a mosfet
and inductor
therby doing the boost conversion from the batery voltage,
there wont be a need for a current limit resistor.

it then makes the micro supply a lot easier.

Colin =^.^=