Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default drill press holding fixture

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:33:27 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I gave blood this morning. All over my radial arm drill that I got a couple
months ago. The part snatched as the drill broke though. it rode up the
drill and then popped the vice grip holding clamp off and threw it. Then the
work made made a quick revolution before i could get out of the way.

I've just thought of the other thing to get...

A pendulum or telescopic antenna type trip switch for the drill, optionally
connected to a DC injection plug braking system can be a life saver. The
pendulum/antenna hangs down so that if the work gets away from you, you or it
hits the switch and cuts the motor power. In the case of the plug braking
system, it injects a lot of DC into the motor windings and the motor stops in
a fraction of a turn. We have this setup on the little 4' x 3' table Richmond
radial arm drill in the Labs workshop at work and it is very effective.

example at:-
http://rswww.com

search for part #
498-5567