Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default electrical question

On Aug 22, 10:32 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
The times i mentioned pigtailing, several people would say what a waste of
time... etc. etc. I quit trying. I'll just do it right and let everyone
else double screw them.

steve

"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 22, 5:17 pm, albee wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:07:21 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
snip

Indeed, they were backstabbed, and after getting
done with re-wiring them

Good wiring techniques call for series connected devices to be
pigtailed to the primary wires. Shame on all you experts for not
mentioning this. The reason is obvious: when a replacement or repair
is necessary it can be done in mere minutes with greater reliability
it is claimed. Through wiring (using both screws on the side of a
receptacle, for example), is the mark of an amateur. HTH

Joe- Hide quoted text -

This is what I was taught and what always intuitively seemed right,
never let the device be the load run. A healthy plier twist and wire
nut will carry the load run and the device should simply tap that. I
think the problem is that Romex is so much thicker than regular wiring
with conduit that it quickly takes up all the room in the box, so use
of a deeper box would be needed to do pigtails. With regular wire in
conduit center stripping a 1 inch area then looping around the screw
with no cutting of the load run is easier, common, and very dependable
as it has no effect downstream even if a screw comes loose. You cant
center strip Romex because of the way the outer jacket must enter/exit
the box and be anchored, so it's cut, cut, cut in every box.