Posted to alt.home.repair
Andrew Duane Andrew Duane is offline

Default Repairing crumbling concrete steps - Help!

On Aug 23, 9:42 am, wrote:
Hello all
I own a 40 year old home in the Northeast with poured concrete front
steps. Previous owner put carpet on the concrete steps and porch,
which has resulted in crumbling and breaking off of some of the
steps. I have read about different ways of repairing it, but many say
that applying concrete to repair won't last, even when drilling and
putting metal pins to help retain the concrete patches in place. I
would just like to repair it with concrete, apply a good sealer and
paint on it, and be done with it. If that won't work, I would
consider having a contractor cover it with interlocking or flagstones,
or even build a wood porch on top of the concrete.
Any ideas on how to do a solid and lasting repair to the damaged steps
would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you.

As someone else in the northeast who loves all things stone, I have to
agree.
Any repair involving mortar or concrete is likely to suffer from
freeze/thaw
and break up in fairy short order. You can try hammering out enough
concrete
to get bricks or concrete pavers (preferred; bricks get SLIPPERY in
winter) on,
but again the mortar that holds them together will be a challenge to
keep
intact for long.

For short term, try breaking some concrete off and putting a fresh
coat
on with sealer. It may last at least a while. Long term, jackhammer
the
whole thing up and start again with what you want. I used granite
slabs
resting on compacted earth. My grandkids will be able to visit them.