Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default RCDs in series

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

They do not have countless sockets on one radial. In France it is 8
maximum on a 16A MCB.

Which exemplifies why low capacity radials are not well suited to
general power provision in a home.

???????

Because you end up needing at least half a dozen circuits per floor just
for sockets, with all the cost and wiring complexity that entails. You
are also stuck with no more practical load than one high current device
per circuit - a right PITA in a kitchen for example.

Whole house RCDs were briefly allowed in the 15th edition IIUC. So
since that covered the '80s basically, the scope when that was
acceptable was limited. It fairly soon became apparent that it was not
a good solution.

I have seen them on new builds of only 5 years ago and less.

Are you:
1) Sure you know what you were looking at
2) Sure it was not a TT install
3) Not just making up this stuff like normal

They can, but rarely if ever do in the absence of a fault. I don't
recall the last time I need to replace a fuse for a non faulty appliance.

But can do and behind an appliance.

can in theory. I have never had it happen. In fact I have not had a fuse
blow in anything in the last 15 years that I can recall.

What and lower our standards and safety record to match theirs you
mean?

Theirs superior.

Figures?

Still waiting...

Here you would throw the switch above the counter marked "Dishwasher",
seems somewhat better to me.

Which looks crap and is not an RCBO.

You are aware that there is no particular advantage to having RCD
protection on fixed appliances such as dishwashers? (TT excepted)

--
Cheers,

John.