Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default Phone jack Has to be near AC Receptacle?

John Ross wrote:
I need to have an extra phone jack installed in my home. I was talking
to a guy who installs them, and he said it has to be "within 3 feet of
a wall receptacle." And he said something about this being in the NEC.

Has anyone heard of this? I can't see what one has to do with the
other.

--
John

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would clear up a few things.

First, as far as the modem needing an outlet. I DO have outlets in the
room. In fact, the wall in question has one in the middle. But, I need
about 4 or 5 feet from that instead of 3 (I'll explain later). Anyway,
in this scenario, the modem would be on the ajacent wall, which would
have an outlet within 6 feet. I think it is possible to get a 6 foot
phone cord!

One thing I thought of is that wall separates the garage from house.
He said something about a "firewall" and so I am not sure if that has
anything to do with it. Also, he now just does commercial jobs, but
said he would do this since it seemed straightforward and he had some
time. So not sure if commercial is different from residential.
However, he did do residential for years before quitting it recently
(like everyone else I called!!!!!!!) so he should know the difference.

It is odd because I think he did say NEC "recommended" the 3 foot
thing, so I can't understand his insistence on it. And, he comes
extremely well recommended. But you all agree that this isn't even in
the NEC.

Still confused. But, hey at least some had a nice nostalgia trip with
talk of their princess phones

--
John