Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default drill press holding fixture

But what size of drill? Was the pilot hole too big? Sheet metal? Too small
vice (not heavy enough)?
Normaly, a stop in one of the T-slots is enough if you can prevent the
vice
from rotating. That stop is just a knurled round, about 100..150 mm long
with a thread at one end and a mating T-slot screw.

I was in a hurry, first mistake. I need a bracket to mount a panel mount
on/off rotating electrical switch. Found a piece of 1/8 x 3" by long AL at
the finger brake. Bent it to a 90 and cut it to length, second mistake (no
way to easily clamp now) Small drill had 1/2" in chuck so I punched and
drilled pilot. Went over to big drill with 1 3/16 bit, clamped on 3' 1"x1"
tube with vice grip and sat it on a small piece of 1" thick metal with a
hole in it on the table. Flimsy set up, but I'm in a hurry. Its the third
mistake that will really get you.

You're right, there's enough pain that I will get a large drill press vise
for this machine and find a way to quickly mount and remove it

Karl