Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default drill press holding fixture

Karl Townsend wrote:

The part snatched as the drill broke though. it rode up the
drill and then popped the vice grip holding clamp off and threw it. Then
the work made made Â*a quick revolution before i could get out of the way.

Hope it didn't hurt too much, but a bit of pain is OK. :-) We all learn
quicker by punishment. EG

But what size of drill? Was the pilot hole too big? Sheet metal? Too small
vice (not heavy enough)?
Normaly, a stop in one of the T-slots is enough if you can prevent the vice
from rotating. That stop is just a knurled round, about 100..150 mm long
with a thread at one end and a mating T-slot screw.

Nick
PS: Two cuts last sunday: One when I stumbled over something laying in the
way and me graping for hold. Unfortunatly, that hold was a bit in the
shaper sticking out and making a small cut. Moved that out of the way. And
then pulling out some tool from a holder for several MT4 tools and drawing
my finger over the edge of some 30mm mill. Outch! No more sharp tools in
that holder. Lesson learned.

--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de