Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default best chain saw chain?

after burning out a whole dozen of the little electric chain saws, like the
poulan and crafstman (never tried remington), I gave up and bought a stihl
with a 20 inch bar - all my saw problems went away. Long shavings don't
clog it, it doesn't burn out in 15 seconds or strip gears, but it does cost
almost 10X as much. the prior saws all failed by having a plastic gear
come loose on the drive shaft - the best one worked for about 30 minutes,
the worst didn't make 5 seconds (and no, I wasn't pushing hard, just cutting
full bar length). So, if you don't want to go for the deluxe saws, the
moral is don't cut more than 1/2 bar length at any time.

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Cutting blanks is like everything else in turning, it needs practice. The
long shavings are good but holding the saw at about a 60* angle will hold
them to a reasonable length. The Remington, like most electrics, has too
little room around the drive sprocket for ripping and the long shavings
tend to accumulate and clog the drive. Stop now and then as they gather
and clear them with a couple of runs of the chain or with the saw off and
use your hand. Rip chain is for cutting end grain and you really do not
want to do that.
Try http://aroundthewoods.com/firewood.shtml
and http://aroundthewoods.com/woodenspoonproject1.html
for a couple of hints.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
I'd guess that more of us (by a wide margin) use standard, basically
crosscut chains for ripping than use ripping chains. I've owned two
saws -- the first jammed up all the time, and the second almost never
jams. The second has enough clearance around the drive sprocket that
the cuttings have a chance to clear themselves. The first was a bit of
a shoehorn job in that area.

Try this when ripping -- hold the back of the saw up a bit higher than
the nose and less 'stuff' will get into the sprocket area. Also, keep
that area clear. It takes a lot less time to clear minor accumulations
more often than a major jam when it happens.

There's the ticket.

From the description of shavings versus dust, I assume you're doing the
task properly.
http://www.customwooddesign.com/turninggreenwood-1.html It's not
ripping in the classical sense at all.

A rip chain would be a liability, not an asset. What you want to do is
what Bill said, only in an extended sort of way. Keep the chain speed
high by cutting only a bit of the total length at a time. Work the bar
see-saw style if it's long enough to clear both ends so you're taking
half the length or less at any given moment. That will give you best
throw/pack ratio. If the saw slows, stop and run it clear in the air, or,
failing that, clean out the shavings manually after you turn it off. If
the bar's shorter than the piece, set up access at both ends and
alternate. Here it's important to keep the nose up and away from
kickback, thus giving more weight to what Bill says.

Word to the wise on packing shavings and the dust that's mixed with them.
It can interfere with your chain oiling real easily, so when you're doing
your rev up, make sure you're throwing oil at the test object.