Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default drill press holding fixture

there is a very cool drill press vise called "float lock" - they show up
from time to time on ebay - a complete one has a block to attach to the
table, and will hold virtually any part up to about 12 or 18 inches - you
prrobably want to find one of them
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I gave blood this morning. All over my radial arm drill that I got a
couple months ago. The part snatched as the drill broke though. it rode up
the drill and then popped the vice grip holding clamp off and threw it.
Then the work made made a quick revolution before i could get out of the
way.

I need to get a better way to hold work in the drill press. A couple vice
grips and pieces of tubing just aren't getting it. I've tried using a
spare Kurt type vise, but that is cumbersome. half the parts won't fit in
and its difficult to quickly line the work up under the drill and through
an open spot in the vise.

what's normally used to hold all sorts of odd ball one of parts in a large
drill? Just fabrication grade work here. I use a mill and bolt the part to
it for stuff needing accuracy.

Karl