Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Cast Iron Tub removal

On Aug 22, 5:51 pm, "Old Boat" wrote:
Anyone got any idea how to remove a cast iron tub. I really don't care if it
comes out in one piece or not. Looks pretty heavy. If I have to break it up,
what's the best way to do it.

Thanks,

ELY

All you guys wanting to break it up forget one thing...tubs are small
enough to go through any door (sideways), and with the help of friends
can be manhandled out and down steps to the curb. Check a tool rental
place for stuff that movers use on heavy objects in case the route
takes you past an oriental carpet.
A couple of months ago SWMBO and I did exactly that in our rehab
project. We elected to take the hulk to the recycle yard and with help
of our trusty car service jack, rolled it down the side walk and into
the pickup truck bed. IIRC, we got something like $15 for 258 lbs.
Could have made more, but it was only a 4 1/2 foot long tub. No fuss,
no muss, and much less work. HTH

Joe