Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jfeng@my-deja.com is offline

Default Testing Western Digital Hard Drive Motor?

On Aug 22, 4:43 pm, ken wrote:
Removed a working WD 60GB HD last year with very little use and when
recently tried to use there is No Sound from the motor starting.

Am guessing it is the contacts or pin connections. Have had it happen
before where the HD did not start and wiggled the plug and
everything was OK.

Appreciate any tips or suggestions!

Thanks

Ken

My experience may not be very encouraging for you. When my WD1600JB
drive stopped spinning, I could also smell the release of the magic
smoke from the pc board. On inspection, I saw a crater in the epoxy
of the motor driver chip. It spins when I substitute a pc board from
another WD1600JB drive, but it does not read back any of the recorded
data. I am hoping that swapping motor driver chips will bring it back
to life, but I need to learn how to do that with the surface mounted
chips, and I need to find a donor pc board.