Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Can a diamond blade cut aluminum stock?

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 03:35:39 -0700, Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Aug 21, 1:46 pm, Joe Strout wrote:
I need to cut 1/16"-inch aluminum angle stock. And, to be clear up
front, I'm a total newbie to metalworking (and not too experienced with
tools in general).

So, I bought a 6-inch cutoff saw from Harbor Freight with aluminum oxide
grinding discs. Turns out that this is not safe to use with aluminum
stock; the disc make shatter.
- Joe

An Exacto razor saw and miter box from a hobby store will cut a few
pieces of 1/16" aluminum angle with less fuss than the power tools
mentioned. You may have to file the ends square but that is a good
skill to learn anyway.

jw

23 years ago, when we moved into this house, I needed many angle clips
to attach shelving to the wall studs in my basement shop. I had
several feet of 1" angle which had been bent from ~1/16" flat steel
stock. (OK, I just did a quick check - 0.07") So I put a jewelers
blade in my over arm jig saw and cut lengths as required, probably 50
or 60 pieces. Mind you, I didn't push too hard, but I was surprised at
how few blades I broke. I did all the cutting with the open angle
facing down to the table.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada