Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Recommendation for Extractor Fans (ie reliability and noise?)

On 2007-08-22 21:32:19 +0100, " said:

Hi

I have the need for 2 x Extractor fans.

Bathroom

12ft x 6ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator via light switch and stay
on timer 20mins after etc

Kitchen (fairly big)

15ft x 12ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator from light switch (as
above) - but to also be able to be manually overidden via pullcord etc
(as we often leave the kitchen light on for security so dont want the
fan on all the time when we are not in!)

Ive looked at various websites and I think I need a 4inch or maybe
6inch for the bathroom and at least a 9 inch for the Kitchen....

You need to look at manufacturers' specs on the throughput of their
products. There are also indications of the max room size of a given
type for which a given product is suitable.

Both will be directly vented through the wall to outside.

Im ask the 'sparkies' when they come to quote, but I wouldnt mind
knowing a bit about the tried/tested brands in case I end up with a
unknown brand from the back of the van!

Has anyone advice/experience with the branded versions, are any better
than others??

Yes. Vent Axia products are by far and away the best on the market,
even in comparison with other reasonable brands such as Xpelair and
certainly far better than the generic products from the merchants.

I wouldn't waste time with other products or allow them to be fitted.

You will find a wide variety of fans in their range, going from various
100mm toilet/bathroom fans on up to much larger ones.

For the kitchen, considering the size, I would give serious
consideration to one of their small commercial T-series units in the
300mm size as opposed to the 230mm size. The reason is that the
whole range can be run using a speed controller. On the larger fan,
there is twice the throughput and the noise level is lower as a result
of being able to run the fan at a much lower speed.

Any other advice of purchasing (inc cheap places in the UK/online!) -
much appreciated

You can certainly find reasonable pricing on Vent Axia if you look and
ask, but don't expect it to be at the same level as the generic
products.

On the other hand, you will replace the generic product at least four
times during the equivalent period of time.