Posted to uk.d-i-y
FKruger FKruger is offline

Default Recommendation for Extractor Fans (ie reliability and noise?)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:32:19 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi

I have the need for 2 x Extractor fans.

Bathroom

12ft x 6ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator via light switch and stay
on timer 20mins after etc

Kitchen (fairly big)

15ft x 12ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator from light switch (as
above) - but to also be able to be manually overidden via pullcord etc
(as we often leave the kitchen light on for security so dont want the
fan on all the time when we are not in!)

Ive looked at various websites and I think I need a 4inch or maybe
6inch for the bathroom and at least a 9 inch for the Kitchen....

Both will be directly vented through the wall to outside.

Im ask the 'sparkies' when they come to quote, but I wouldnt mind
knowing a bit about the tried/tested brands in case I end up with a
unknown brand from the back of the van!

Has anyone advice/experience with the branded versions, are any better
than others??

Any other advice of purchasing (inc cheap places in the UK/online!) -
much appreciated

vent-axia are very good build quality but the aint cheap, you can get
them from Screwfix. I wouldnt put the kitchen fan on the light circuit
as when you want the fan on is seldom the same time you want the
lights on. Bear in mind when you are pumping air out of the house,
fresh air has to come in somewhere.