Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mothers
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default GE dishwasher misbehaving (xposted)

On 22 Aug, 11:43, wrote:
On Aug 22, 10:22 am, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
I have a 6 year old GE dishwasher. The past couple of days we noticed
that the dishwasher detergent powder is not being used up. We thought
we've put too much detergent or it didn't get dissolved properly etc..
Today we ran it during the day to observe. Looks like there's not much
water injecting/circulating inside. Previously during rinse cycle a
whole lot of water used to channel its way into the sink drain like
it's supposed to. Now there's hardly any. I'm thinking there's a block
in the water source to the dishwasher.

We've also had another issue with this unit. The dishwasher racks are
corroded and we've repaired some corroded parts with plastic caps /
resin paint. There's still some more corrosion. DH thinks the rusty
bits fell off and blocked the water pipe.

Please offer suggestions on what to look for. Is there anything we can
check before we call the plumber? We do lot of fixing up of basic
plumbing issues at our house.

Thanks.

Hi,
Is your water hard/acidic? If water level is low when filled, you can
adjust the float switch to increase the water level. Also we use only liquid
detergent. Haven't used power detergent long time.

Our water is not hard. Nobody around here uses water softener. We'll
switch to liquid detergent if that's the only reason. We've used
powder all these years without any issue.

Thanks for your reply.- Hide quoted text -

If the powered detergent has been being used up for 6 years, do you
really think that suddenly there is a need to switch to a liquid? If
you haven't changed powders or the amount you use (and the
manufacturer hasn't changed the formula) then I doubt the powder is
the cause of the problem. Switching to a liquid would be treating the
symptom, not the disease. I might as well throw in the fact that if
the powder got damp and lumpy, then maybe that is causing problems,
but I think you would have noticed that when you tried to fill the
cups.

If you really think there is less water entering the unit, then you
could try disconnecting the supply hose and checking to see if it has
a screen that could be clogged. Maybe there is a way to blow out the
supply lines inside the DW.

While not related to the actual water level, some other things to
check are to make sure nothing is blocking either of the arms from
spinning and/or if something is preventing the detergent cup door from
opening fully. I once had a dishwasher where you had to make sure the
lower rack was pushed back as far as it would go or the detergent cup
door would catch on it and not open fully. The main dishwasher door
did not push the rack back own its own.