Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default Replacing Alarm Keypad

On Aug 22, 1:53 am, Jason wrote:

Is this battery in the keypad itself, or the brain? There's a big
battery in the brain, but it's odd shaped and I would probably have to
find it online. I didn't see one in the keypad at first glance (at
4:30am).

Replaced mine about 3 years ago - the original lasted about 5 or 6
years. Similar symptoms to yours. Battery lives in the controller box.
Big thing about the size of one of those individual serving cereal
packages. SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery, 12 volts, think it was
something like 6.5 A-H (ampere-hours).

If you have a battery store near you, just unplug the battery, take it
in, and they'll figure out what you need. If you need to buy it
online, look on the side of the battery - there should be printed a
voltage and ampere-hour rating. You need to buy the same voltage and
at LEAST the stated ampere-hour rating (higher is OK), check the
battery dimensions to make sure it will fit in your controller box,
and make sure the battery terminals are the same.

Those batteries are intended to be used as BACKUP batteries, to run
the alarm if somebody trying to break in turns off your electricity.
But, the way my alarm controller (and probably yours) is designed, if
the battery fails and it's output voltage drops, it loads down the
controller's power supply too, which is what causes your keypad (and
maybe the rest of the alarm too) to misbehave.

Hope this helps,
Jerry