Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default Picture Tube Hazards

"James Sweet" wrote in
news:S5ryi.6723$pf3.3835@trndny06:

"Scott" wrote in message
I have a TV/DVD/VCR combo. The DVD player started skipping and just
totally went out. I suspect that the lens is dirty but in order to clean
it I have to remove the DVD unit from the TV. There are a couple of
screws right below the picture tube that are going to be hard to reach.
My question is it ok if I touch the bottom of the tube and not get
electrocuted. I know about the hazards of touching the thick wire on top
of the tube but unsure about the tube itself.

-ss

Yeah you'll be fine. Take care not to damage the delicate neck and
connector pins of the picture tube, if you crack the glass and let air
in, the tube is toast.

Not to mention the mess that the 15 psi on each square inch of the tube can
make if you 'get lucky' and shatter the tube. Kind of like a grenade going
off. It can throw glass for quite some distance.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap