Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Large Rabbet

In article . com, Kent wrote:
Here's a very rough drawing before the rabbet:

___________
| |
( |
( |
( |
|____________|

And here it is after the rabbet:
____________
| |
( ______|
( |
( |
|______|

I propose to first make the vertical cut shown above with the fence
positioned to the right. I would then rotate the stock 90 degrees
clockwise and make the second cut (the one that shows as the
horizintal cut above). The waste would then be to the left (non-fence)
side of the blade.

I would use both vertical and horizontal feather boards.

Does that sound like it would work and be safe?

Not to me, it doesn't. That's an awfully thin edge to be balancing the stock
on, for the last cut. It would take only a little bit of motion to tilt it
into the blade, when the best you can hope for is a ruined workpiece.

I wouldn't do it. IMO that's an accident waiting to happen. See my first post
in this thread for a description of how I'd go about it.

--
Regards,