Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Large Rabbet

In article .com, Kent wrote:
I am making molding that will wrap the bottom side of my upper kitchen
cabinets. It looks like an "L" with a bullnose on the face. I need to
cut a large rabbet to form the "L" shape. The rabbet will be 1" by
3/4". I am doing this in white oak. I have a table saw with a good
blade,. I also have a dado blade. Finally, I have a router table with
a large router. What is the best method to do this? My initial
thought is to make two cuts on the table saw suing a standard blade
and rotating the stock 90 degrees for the second cut.

That's a bit risky IMO -- you'll be making your second cut on a narrow and not
especially stable workpiece. It could easily rock or twist into the blade and
bring your fingers along with it.

I think I'd start with a board about 4" wide. (View the ASCII art in a
fixed-spacing font, e.g. Courier)

First cut the bullnose on the router table.
+-------------------------------+
( |
( |
( |
+-------------------------------+

Then cut a groove, either with a dado set on the table saw,
or a router bit.
+-------------------------------+
( +------+ |
( | | |
( | | |

Finally, flip the board over
| | | )
| | | )
and rip the ell free here^ on the table saw.

--
Regards,