Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default AC relay theory

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:16:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

You are being a bit nit-picking aren't you?... You know what was
meant by the shorthand description. In this case "magnetic material"
means "magnetically permeable material" to be precise.

In terms of the OP's question, no. Magnetic suggests it will attract
an armature etc without being externally energised.

As I said, I am guilty of omitting one word in my phraseology. If by
omitting this word you were led to thinking that I was saying the core
itself was a permannent magnet then you may be less intelligent than
you imagined. If it were a magnetic material as you obviously imagined
then the armature would be permanently held operated, so what then
would be the purpose of the winding?

I was searching for a single word that means 'magnetically permeable'
but if it exists it escapes me.

Well, that's because there is no single word (technically speaking) -
and I didn't infer that there was. There is however, a symbol for
Magnetic Permeability, Mu - expressed in Henry's per meter, with which
I am sure you are familiar. As in most fields of science there is
usually a set of symbols to accompany it and we all know that symbols
are basically shorthand representation or descriptor for a term or
property. So it can be said that the single character U = Mu (sorry,
can't type the actual character) is a one letter word meaning Magnetic
Permeability.
http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDef...543303,00.html