Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Gordon Dave Gordon is offline

Default I can't find it! a random lament

" wrote in message
oups.com...
An experience I have all too frequently is buying something I already
own. And using it before I discover that I had it already. And I spend
far too many hours searching for things I know I have, only to have
them turn up months later...

The other day I was looking for something (I forget what) and I came
upon a heavy duty two-prong plug. A few ago I went to several hardware
stores looking for a heavy-duty two-prong (no ground) plug to replace
a broken plug on a vacuum cleaner. I ended up buying a three-prong
plug and sticking an adapter on it. On Saturday I was looking through
my shop for something else (I forget what) and I found a never-used
heavy-duty two-prong plug.

A few weeks ago I used a self-centering drill bit (a Vix bit) that I'd
had for years in a clear plastic case. When I was done, I couldn't
find the case--even though I had had it just an hour before. A few
days later I found the case and now I can't find the bit. I've turned
my shop over looking for it. Still no bit. I had to buy a new one.

A few months before that I'd been using a porter-cable orbital sander
hooked up to a vacuum cleaner for dust collection. When I went to put
the built-in dust collector back on the sander, I couldn't find it. A
few weeks later I found the dust collector, and now I can't find the
sander. This is the first time I've mislaid something that big.

It's not a tool, but I bought a lawn sprinker to replace one that
broke. Two days later I found the even better lawn sprinkler I'd
bought last year on sale, to be prepared for when one broke....

It goes on and on...

I guess I should clean up my shop.

Sounds like an infection by the C-Nile virus ;-)