Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Can a diamond blade cut aluminum stock?

According to Joe Strout :
In article , "Tony"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Why not use a bandsaw, the 4x6 model from Harbor Freight is a bargain, and
designed to cut metal.

You mean this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47840

Hmm ... not that one. That is hand held. You want one with a
stand which can be left working on its own. This one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93762

That is similar to mine (which came from MSC some years ago). The
prices (and the colors) vary from time to time. When I got mine, it was
a "$200.00 bandsaw", and it is back up to there now.

Looking at MSC, their prices are way up, but this one is pretty
much what I got:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-6841&PMPXNO=2898793&PARTPG=INLMK3

and that one *does* still list the automatic cut-off.

That does look reasonable. But it's $100; my cut-off saw was $18 (on
sale). I'm still trying to determine if I can make that work, or if I
need to return it and invest in something else.

It has the advantage that you can load it with a stack of
aluminum "V"s (like this) in the vise:

/\
//\\
///\\\
////\\\\
/////\\\\\

then start up the saw, and walk away leaving it cutting while you do
something else. The saw shuts off automatically when it completes the
cut. (Probably spritz the blade with kerosene or WD-40 to keep the
teeth from gumming up). You can get blades with teeth fine enough to
handle the thin aluminum with no problems.

I'm not familiar with band saws; would you recommend it over a miter
saw, like this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91995

This is a little cheaper ($80), and of course can cut miters; it's not
clear to me whether a band saw does that. And from what I've been told,
a carbide blade (perhaps with a little lubricant) should work fine on
aluminum.

The miter saw would be much noisier.

It would spit chips like mad, so you absolutely need eye
protection.

You would need to be directly at the machine operating it full
time. No way to leave it cutting while you do something else (unlike
the bandsaw).

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564