Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Can a diamond blade cut aluminum stock?

According to Joe Strout :
In article , Wes
wrote:

That is an interesting question. Diamond is used to machine aluminum in the
manufacturing world but I am not sure how the blade you describe would work.

That is done with PCD (Poly Crystaline Diamond) formed tools,
not a bunch of diamond chips embedded in the sides of a blade (as in
the one indicated). I would expect it to gum up rather badly with the
typical Aluminum alloy from hardware stores and the saw blade indicated.

cordless circular saws. By the way how many rpm does this saw turn?

I haven't been able to find a 6" carbide blade with a 5/8" or 7/8"
arbor. I'm still looking, though. (The saw turns at 9000 RPM.)

As long as you are careful feeding the saw blade into the cut, a coarse
blade will be fine in this application.

Good to know, thanks.

While we're about it -- orient the aluminum angle like this:

/\
/ \

when cutting it. The angled sides make them appear slightly thicker to
the teeth. If you set it up like this instead:

|___

the upright section would be vibrating like mad.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564