Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony Tony is offline

Default How do I clean my 4" chuck? dunk it in soemthing?

Acid dunk? I can't think of any worse way to clean a chuck other than
sandblasting .. and the acid fumes will rust everything else in your shop.

I would use a wire wheel , both arbor mounted and in a die grinder. For a 4"
chuck it should be short work.

Tony

"Ignoramus21267" wrote in message
Here's how I clean most iron things.

1. I put them in muriatic acid for a while (like 30 minutes). That
takes off rust, but leaves highly corrosive acid on them facilitAting
future corrosion.

2. After that, I rinse them very well in a solution of baking soda,
maybe I would even leave it there for a few minutes -- but rinse very
energetically.

3. After that, I heat them enough so that water evaporates quickly
(like in the oven at low temp).

4. Then I dunk them in oil or wipe oil on them or any other rust
preventative.