Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony Tony is offline

Default Can a diamond blade cut aluminum stock?

That diamond wheel is for masonry, not metal. If you use it on AL it will
gum up the blade.

Why not use a bandsaw, the 4x6 model from Harbor Freight is a bargain, and
designed to cut metal.

Tony

"Joe Strout" wrote in message
I need to cut 1/16"-inch aluminum angle stock. And, to be clear up
front, I'm a total newbie to metalworking (and not too experienced with
tools in general).

So, I bought a 6-inch cutoff saw from Harbor Freight with aluminum oxide
grinding discs. Turns out that this is not safe to use with aluminum
stock; the disc make shatter.

It's been suggested that I put a saw blade on the same machine (any
6-inch blade with a 5/8" or 7/8" arbor should fit). I found this one, a
diamond segmented blade:

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/A-94708/

But now I'm suspicious of making assumptions about what a given tool can
cut. Would this be good for cutting aluminum? Or should I keep
searching for a carbide blade?

If the answer is carbide, can anyone recommend a good source for these?
I'd need one the right size, and (as I understand it) a large number of
small teeth, since the stock I'm cutting is so thin.

Thanks,
- Joe

--
"Polywell" fusion -- an approach to nuclear fusion that might actually
work.