Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics,rec.audio.pro
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Could this device be built?

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:41:13 -0500,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

No, but I have enough years of experience with RF in general and radar
in particular to know building a phased array requires precise phase
(or frequency) control and you can't do that with an ultra wideband
device, which has a bandwidth of 500 Mhz.

At a minumum!

What is the bandwidth of modern radars? I'd expect it to be
wide and using spread spectrum tricks to make jaming harder.

Spiffy modern radars hop and chirp, both of which broaden the working
bandwidth.

With modern signal processing, wider radar bandwidth improves
resolution. You can do all sorts of fun stuff with 1000 antennas and a
few teraflops of compute power.

All the major powers - US, Russia, France, Germany, China, Israel, UK
- are working on HPM weapons and array radars. The Brits call their
projects "Suave" and "Virus." MBDA and BAE are major players.

Google "mbda hpm" and "bae hpm", and believe it or don't.

John