Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics,rec.audio.pro
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Could this device be built?

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:52:38 -0400, Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
In sci.physics Fred Bloggs wrote:
wrote:

TRR - Target range radar; tracked the target in range in ECM, frequency
agile to defeat ECM, elevation and azimuth provided by the ECM source

How exactly did that mode work, tracking target range but using EW
interference for az/el? How could you not know your az/el if you're
getting detections from your pulse?

The TRR was slaved in azimuth and elevation to the TTR.

The TTR had the required hardware to track in azimuth and elevation.

When jammed, the TTR tracked the jamming source.

Jammers have to behave somewhat suicidally. I've tracked real-world jamming
sources and they are very easy to track because they put out one heck of a
signal. In Vietnam, our jamming planes were called "Wild Weasels" and were
often short-lived.

No, the Wild Weasels were recce. The EWO (Electronic Warfare Officer),
ususally the GIB (Guy In Back), had a spectrum-analyzer display, to
sniff out the jammers (and maybe even comm.). I don't know exactly what
they did with the info, other than evasive maneuvers, but it gave a pretty
good idea of the radar environment they were flying into.

I'm sure they carried their own jammers, but so did all of the other
fighters/bombers.

Cheers!
Rich