Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default ever veneer over plywood to "save" a project?

Hi,

I'm using cherry plywood for the bulk of the casework on my current
project, and have a fear that I may have already "over-sanded" in
trying to even out the face frame with the sides (still have the final
sanding to go, right before finishing). The side of the case is about
20" by 36", and I'm considering options to address any "self-inflicted
wounds" that show up as I get closer to finish time.

Has anyone ever saved what might have been a lost project by re-
surfacing a plywood side with a thin veneer? The surface is still
nice and flat, and I would think that plywood would make a good
substrate for a self-adhesive veneer. Also, the cost does not seem to
be too prohibitive ($30-$40), when I consider the man-hours devoted so
far to the project.

Is there some flaw in my logic? Other choices appear to be paint
or firewood, and neither or those options sound very appealing...