Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default lacquer durability?

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:50:40 -0700, "
wrote:

On Aug 17, 11:39 am, Renata wrote:

Yes, but what else pops the grain as nicely?

My very favorite formula, bar none: 1/3 shellac sanding sealer
(Zinseer off the shelf for me as I don't make my own), 1/3 BLO, and
1/3 gum spirits turpentine. Wipe on two thin coats, and you can be
finishing the next day. It evens out the grain and will take a light
sanding, and the shellac seals the surface. As you work. Put it on
with an old tee shirt you have run through the dryer by itself to get
any lint off of it you can.

I've heard of lost of oil / varnish blends, and of adding just a shot
of oil to shellac for French Polishing. I'd never heard of this
blend, so I'd thought I'd give it a shot. The "real" turpentine I
have is Ace's house brand, the shellac is Seal Coat.

This works GREAT! It gives me the color I want, while being foolproof
to apply and fast drying. Nothing seems to leach back out of open
pores like a natural stain or thinned BLO would.

I tried it on QSWO, red oak, maple, and pine, and was so excited about
it, I kept looking for different scraps! I'm in the process of
finishing a bunch of trim, so tomorrow I'll see how Ultrastar goes
over it.

Thanks for a great tip!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **