Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Phone jack Has to be near AC Receptacle?

On 21 Aug, 08:20, John Ross wrote:
RickH wrote:
On Aug 20, 7:10 am, John Ross wrote:
I need to have an extra phone jack installed in my home. I was talking
to a guy who installs them, and he said it has to be "within 3 feet of
a wall receptacle." And he said something about this being in the NEC.

Has anyone heard of this? I can't see what one has to do with the
other.

--
John

Most new homes are done like that, along with the network and cable tv
drops to the same wall plate, same for central vacuum inlets, it's for
convenience only. I never heard it was code. Municipalities dont
care much about how the low voltage prewire is done, other than if you
drilled holes in the fire stops that you did not re-caulk.

This is an older home. This subject came up after talking about
different ways of doing it (i.e. going up to attic, down to
crawlspace). I got the impression that somehow he was saying it would
make it easier to do. I just can't see how that would be. It's not
like he needs to connect the phone wires to the electrical wires.

In addition, the most likely option is just to go straight through the
wall (it goes to a garage right near where the phone connectin to the
house is). So, again I can't see how the receptacle would have any
relevance.

I also extremely doubt this is a local code. But I have to give him
credit---he is the ONLY person (aside from this NG) who has even
mentioned "The NEC"--including electricians!!! Kinda had to give him
credit for that, even though it still doesn't seem to make sense.

--
John- Hide quoted text -

Why would you give him credit for mentioning the NEC when it wasn't
relevant to the situation? If you didn't tell him it was a modem
(which, BTW, *would* require a receptacle nearby, although not by
code) then why would the NEC be something worth mentioning?

It's akin to someone mentioning OSHA regulations when talking to you
about renovating a residential bathroom. Not only isn't it relevant,
but I would *deduct* points if it came up in a discussion since it
tells me the contractor doesn't know what (s)he is talking about.