Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Slightly OT-guns, metal content

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:05:08 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:01:35 -0000, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

He spent exactly twenty seconds describing a sight picture. And his
drawing was wrong for short range pistol.

What is a right sight picture for short range pistol? What range? I
intend no nitpick, I'd really like to know. My current understanding
is that there is no right sight picture for short-range pistol because
the shooter won't see the sights at all in a pucker sit.

And the percentages of hits in close range gunfights is horrible, either for
trained POs, and lowly "civilians" alike. The POs only score slightly
higher than civilians, and IIRC from my training classes, it's in the
twenties percent range.

And I have a question. What's a short range pistol?

One of my favorite things when plinking with my Ruger Mk I .22 cal semi-auto
is to hip shoot. Hold the pistol at my side, belt high, and shoot at cans
or targets 10 to 20 feet. I can hit close enough to know if I'm in a
firefight and have to shoot without having the time to come to a full stance
and aim, I'll probably hit the person I'm shooting at. Most shootings
happen at less than 15 feet.

Besides, there's one BIG point here that is being missed. An instructor who
is knowledgeable and experienced will tell you that if you are at a distance
where you have to come to a full stance and aim, that you need to run.
Because that's what the smart assed lawyer from the other side is going to
ask you. "So, Mr. Foreman ............ you had a distance between you and
the deceased client that would allow you to flee, and you chose to stand
there, carefully take aim, and then shoot the deceased straight through the
nose? Why didn't you choose to flee instead of executing this nice young
man?"

My last (4th now) class was given by the head instructor for the Las Vegas
Metropolitan Police Department. He is also high on the board of officers
who examine every time an officer even draws his weapon, let alone fire it.
He participates in all IAD reviews of officer involved shootings from the
department's standpoint before they reach the coroner's inquest stage. He
changed my mind and mentality so much in this class about the myths and
misconception of imagined and perceived scenarios of CCF applicants. The
real experiences he talked about were far from the Wild West shootout
scenarios half of the bozos imagined. He kicked one guy out for fiddling
with his gun during lecture. Just told him to take his things and leave.

What he conveyed to me was that if you shoot, your life is ruined. If you
do shoot, make it your last act before you pass out from being beaten or
knifed or shot. Only then will you have a defense that will stand a chance
in court.

Short range pistol? I think I used to have one. It was called a Spud Gun.
I understand you can get them on Ebay. They used to cost about $3, and now
are probably ten times that much. We used to have lots of fun running
around with a potato in one hand and a Spud Gun in the other. Of course,
they were short range pistols, you understand.

Today, someone would call in a (413) man with a gun, and the place would be
swarming with POs in a couple of minutes. How did we ever survive out
childhoods to become such outstanding adults? ;-)

Steve

Good information if you live in Vegas. YMMV if you live in other
jurisdiictions.

Gunner