Posted to alt.home.repair
hobbes hobbes is offline

Default Low voltage lanscape lighting

Hi,

I am thinking about installing low voltage landscape lighting (12v). I
learned of voltage drop in that light bulbs further away from the
transformer will be dimmer than ones closer to the transformer.

The solution is to try and set up your lighting runs such that
clusters of fixtures are sufficiently close together so that the
voltage differentials are small.

My question is would it be possible to also vary the wattages of the
light bulbs on the same run to even out the light output. For example
I would place a 20w bulb close to the transformer. And then further
down the run I would put say a 50w bulb. The 50w bulb would have lower
voltage, due to the power transmission losses, but would draw more
current and hence get to the same light output.

Has anyone tried this? Or is it that in practice it is very difficult
to get the light outputs to match well.

Best, Mike.