Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen Robinson Stephen Robinson is offline

Default decent garage door remote

Karl Townsend wrote:
You might explore why your remotes are dying. I probably operate my
door at least two or three times a day most days, and my three
Chamberlain remotes have been working for at least 15 years. Maybe
they need to be ruggedized somehow for the service they see on
tractors, or something. The weakest part of the remotes is the
plastic-flap-actuated circuit-board contacts. Bypassing those with
weatherproof and gorilla-proof pushbutton switches might enhance
remote lifetime considerably. Renewing batteries once a year wouldn't
hurt either, though I don't recall when I last renewed the battery in
any of my remotes.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure the biggest problem is tossing the units in
the tool box (dirty). I'd tried taping to the steering wheel but range
became terrible and then they get rained on. I've already installed an
outside antennae for the opener - very little help.

I did a Google search on range for these things. there were several hits
showing using your body as an antennae for the remote. Touch the remote to
your chin or forehead to turn it on, I'll try it.

I guess I'm back to the big box store to buy more of the same crappy units.

Karl

I'd be buying more than three as well.....maybe a couple of spares?