Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Cutting holes in galvanised steel

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 03:21:13 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

Cicero wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:32:44 -0700, teddysnips wrote:

We've had all our plastic guttering and downpipes (rainwater goods, if
you like) replaced with Lindab galvanised steel. Jolly nice it looks
too, and apparently maintenance-free for a good long time.

However, there was a problem with the gutters overflowing so a
representative from Lindab came to take a look, to make sure that the
correct type had been fitted. Apparently the problem was because the
builder had made the hole in the gutter above the "hopper" too small.
Because the builder's now off-site I think I'll have a go.

The Lindab rep said that there are two ways of doing it - drilling a
succession of small holes and then joining them up, or using tin snips
to cut the hole.

Maybe the Incredible Hulk could cut through this stuff with tin snips,
but I can't. I managed to drill round and then cut the joins between
the holes with the tin snips but it was a long and painful job. The
main pain is because the drill bit skitters about when starting the
hole.

I don't really want to drill piddling little pilot holes, so do I have
any other options that I haven't considered?

Sorry to go on at length.

Edward

===================================
If this is a case of enlarging an existing hole then a large round file
would do the job. If you don't like manual work you could use a file bit
(can't remember correct name) in your electric drill.

Cic.

Most file bits I've seen have the serrations running the wrong way, and
are thus so slow as to not be worth using. Do you know a supplier with
serrations running along the bit rather than almost across?

NT

===================================
You might be right. The only one (for metal) I can see immediately in my
box has spiral grooves. It might be a 'Wolfcraft' but *they* seem to be
all for wood use if current stock in Machinemart is any guide.

In any case my original suggestion wouldn't be much use to the OP (too
tedious) as he needs to expand 24 holes. I doubt if he will do much better
with snips unless he is either a contortionist or removes the gutters to
get good access.

If there's any access from below I think it would be
easier to make a few short cuts in the perimeter of the existing holes and
use a pair of pliers to create a funnel effect without cutting out any
metal. It might be possible to do this from above (which is open) by using
a suitable hammer to tap the perimeter downwards.

Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux