Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default OT Minneapolis Collapsed Bridge Pix

Mike wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:19:57 -0700, Richard Henry
wrote:

On Aug 20, 2:04 pm, Mike wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:35 GMT, "Oppie" wrote:

Yes, the rail is thermite welded to a continuous rail except for insulated
signaling joints. They ship it as 1000ft sections though.

1000ft?

How?

http://www.mnnr.org/railroads/welded-rail/

excuse my language

Holy f*ck!

I take it the, that you don't live near a mainline.

Pretty cool to see the stuff go by.

On a similar vein (long things that were thought to be too solid to
flex like that) I watched a dig near here where they drilled under
nearly a mile of the town, to run a water main (sewer?) under without
trenching it in. The pipe was about 24 inches in diameter, and they had
it all welded up and snaked back and forth across a field. When the time
came to install it, they hooked a shackle to the endcap and winched it
through the hole from where it was laid out.

One heavy duty spaggetti noodle!

Cheers
Trevor Jones