Posted to alt.home.repair
Jethro Jethro is offline

Default Buzzing on phone line?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:02:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:57:25 GMT, Jethro wrote:

I hate to ask this question - as I expect the most logical answer is
'it could be anything'. But since the repairman can't get here until
Thursday, I thought I would throw it out to see if anyone can suggest
something.

It seems my 4 house phones were all working just fine this morning at
10AM. The this afternoon, I discovered that there is a horrible
'buzzing' or 'humming' kind of sound on the line that renders
conversation impossible, and in fact my dial-up is non working as a
result as well.

I have tried connecting a spare phone outside to the phone company
box, and there is no noise there, and the phone works fine. Obviously,
then, the problem must be in my house somewhere, despite the fact that
I did nothing to cause a problem.

I have tried disconnecting red/green wires from each of the outlets
one outlet at a time, but have ended up with no improvement.

Since the repairman wants $90/half hour, I am hoping someone of you
can suggest something I can try. I have until Thursday!

Thanks

Jethro

For a start:

Pull the phone line from the dial up modem and blow the dust out of
the connection with canned air. Dust collects there and needs to be
checked.

..2 cents..

I only mentioned that in addition to the buzzing, that my dialup was
inoperative too. That's most likely because the buzzing prevents the
dialup from have an intelligible signal(s). I don't think if I can
get rid of the buzzing, then the dialup will work.
Thanks
Jethro