Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Scott[_4_] Scott[_4_] is offline

Default Picture Tube Hazards

Arfa Daily wrote:

To be honest, you are likely to be wasting your time getting to the lens to
clean it, as this is highly unlikely to be your problem unless a) you live
in a very smoky house, or b) you've recently had some dusty building work
done. Unlike with a CD player, normal household dust tends not to deposit on
the lens of a DVD deck, because of the extremely high rotational speed of
the disc, compared to a CD deck. This causes a layer of air to be dragged
round under the disc at high speed, which tends to keep the lens dust-free.
From years of experience repairing DVD players, it is far more likely that
you have a worn laser ( or possibly, but less likely ) a worn spindle motor.
If the unit plays CDs without skipping, then you can be reasonably sure that
it is a laser issue.

Arfa

It started skipping when I was playing a CD. It has been exposed to a
lot of smoke from people exhaling towards the TV. I'm prepare for the
worst anyways, just in case the DVD unit is bad I already have the
replacement # from Panasonic($110). So either way I have to pull the
unit out.

-ss