Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Picture Tube Hazards

"Scott" wrote in message
JANA wrote:
There are proper procedures to remove the DVD player section. It requires
some disassembly. TV service tech's do this type of work all the time,
and there are no hazards.

You should NOT be messing around in your TV set. Your safest procedure is
to give it out to a service shop that services TV sets, and have them do
the work. This way, it will be responsibly performed, and there will not
be any possible safety issues after assembly, and when you are using the
unit.

I know what you mean but then I will have to bring my heavy TV to the shop
(which is even harder since I don't have a truck), possibly wait a few
days in which I won't have a TV and then get charge an arm and a
leg...just to have my lens clean! I think I'll take my chances. That's
what I get for buying a TV/DVD/VCR combo.

To be honest, you are likely to be wasting your time getting to the lens to
clean it, as this is highly unlikely to be your problem unless a) you live
in a very smoky house, or b) you've recently had some dusty building work
done. Unlike with a CD player, normal household dust tends not to deposit on
the lens of a DVD deck, because of the extremely high rotational speed of
the disc, compared to a CD deck. This causes a layer of air to be dragged
round under the disc at high speed, which tends to keep the lens dust-free.
From years of experience repairing DVD players, it is far more likely that
you have a worn laser ( or possibly, but less likely ) a worn spindle motor.
If the unit plays CDs without skipping, then you can be reasonably sure that
it is a laser issue.

Arfa