Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default CFLs - switching on and off

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 00:40:40 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

:"Program Start" - this is used in some CFLs. The bulb does not come on
:at all until a fraction of a second to about a second after power is
:applied, then turns on without blinking. It may have a "rapid fade-on"
:during a fraction of a second.
: This causes the least wear, and is often used in CFLs of Philips and
:Sylvania brands (and some others but I can't remember who and I have not
:tried them all).

Yes, IIRC Philips and Sylvania are among the handful of brands that I
have seen recommended, and consequently I have bought several. I have
had very spotty luck with off-brand CFL's lasting anything near the
advertized MTBF. In recent years I have seen some pretty good deals on
CFL's and bought some off brands anyway.

Dan