Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting holes in galvanised steel

wrote:

We've had all our plastic guttering and downpipes (rainwater goods, if
you like) replaced with Lindab galvanised steel. Jolly nice it looks
too, and apparently maintenance-free for a good long time.

However, there was a problem with the gutters overflowing so a
representative from Lindab came to take a look, to make sure that the
correct type had been fitted. Apparently the problem was because the
builder had made the hole in the gutter above the "hopper" too small.
Because the builder's now off-site I think I'll have a go.

The Lindab rep said that there are two ways of doing it - drilling a
succession of small holes and then joining them up, or using tin snips
to cut the hole.

Maybe the Incredible Hulk could cut through this stuff with tin snips,
but I can't. I managed to drill round and then cut the joins between
the holes with the tin snips but it was a long and painful job. The
main pain is because the drill bit skitters about when starting the
hole.

I don't really want to drill piddling little pilot holes, so do I have
any other options that I haven't considered?

Sorry to go on at length.

Edward

Aviation tinsnips are geared, so easier to use than traditional
british pattern ones.

To stop the bit sliding about, hold a nail where you want to drill and
give it a tap with a hammer. The slight indentation stops the bit
wandering.

However, if you cut galv you expose bare steel, and rusting will begin
as soon as it rains.

NT