Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie charlie is offline

Default Wood finishing..a bit long.

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 14, 3:45 pm, FrozenNorth wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43390...

You compressor should work with that. I remember when those were the
rage with woodworkers simply because they WOULD work with your air
compressor. Rember that it is a simple blaster type system that will
push material in front of a single nozzle of air. It is probably
similar to spraying from a can. I can't imagine it doing a great job
of atomizing the material, but that thing has sure been around a long
time for it not to work at least pretty well.

this works by forming a low pressure area over the tube, causing suction to
draw up the material. it doesn't inject air into the jar.

I do know you will need to thin your product pretty well. Note the
construction of that gun requires material to travel up the tube (not
a siphon tube) to get in front of the nozzle. This will take a little
pressure (5 lbs or so if it like a small pressure cup), and of course
a large nozzle on the pressure side to disperse/atomize the material
will take more pressure. So I wouldn't worry about turning downt the
compressor too much until you try it out.

Get a dryer for the air lines. Get a new 25' hose and fittings if you
can (cheap insurance for your new paint rig) and get a regulator you
can handle mount behind the gun rather than rely on the regulator on
the compressor.

I really like the idea from this thread of installing UV resistant
glass. But if it too late, you might consider coatings (like on a
car).

Since this will not be a surface exposed to footwear, hard use, or
anything much more than dusting, I would think any quality UV
resistant coating should work as long as it gave a cleanable surface.

Robert