Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Slightly OT-guns, metal content

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Can it really BE that gun classes have devolved to this level? If so,
what hope have we that the liberalocrats won't finally strip all the
metal from our hands?

I think you experienced the isolated example. I took a class at my club and
was really impressed on how professional the club members that are NRA
certified conducted the training.

No politics, strong emphases on gun safety, indoor range time using each
students personal defensive weapon, and a lot of getting the message across
that if you are carrying you need to think non-conflict, deescalating, be
aware of surroundings.

Explanations of cover vs concealment, what to do if there is a shooting
situation, more emphases on how you really want to avoid situations where
you may need to defend yourself as in a gun isn't a shield to let you go
into more dangerous areas than you would with out it.

The most I can remember about distinctions between revolvers and self
out doesn't unload the round in the barrel.

To put some metal working content in this, my interest in machining has deep
roots in handloading and firearms. My earliest lathe project was to single
point a piece of round stock to fit my press, drill and tap it for a tapered
plug to expand .30-30 cases to something I could continue to form into .357
Herret cases.

I am facinated by how arms were mass produced in the pre-cnc days and would
have loved to fly on the wall at Paul Mausers factory.

Wes