Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Fender AB763 Super Reverb, 1966

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

N Cook wrote:

Cured the main problem but the owner seems to live with what to me
seems
an excessive amount of stray mains interference, without any signal
leads
and input contacts shorted to ground.
This amp is 110V running off a 240/110 V autotransformer with the
chassis
having an earth to mains earth (UK)

Probably illegal and should almost certainly be linked out. You might
want
to consult your liability insurance

I don't think I'm following what you're saying there. Explain ??

I misread it as a chassis to mains earth switch. Such things have been
known.

What DID he mean by " with the chassis having an earth to mains earth "

?

Either the chassis is earthed (grounded) or it isn't !

Graham

I have seen the chassis to power-earth switch on some American imports
(which obviously, this is), but not on UK versions of the same amp. If the
switch is fitted at all, it's usually just not connected. I assumed that

his
statement just meant that as is the common convention, both sides of the
pond, and when there is not a grounding switch fitted, that the metal
chassis was bonded to power-earth. Could perhaps have been put a bit

better
grammatically, but I think that I got the meaning intended.

Arfa

The "ground switch" is still present on this chassis.
A capacitor connecting the metalwork to either one side of the mains input
110V line or the other. Would you recommend disconnecting the capacitor ?
Either way setting makes absolutely no difference to noise immunity.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England